Ever see those cake pops at Starbucks and think, what if it was vegan, packed with protein, and good for me? Probably not, but I made these anyway.
We recently made a significant shift in our diet to about 90% (so far) whole foods and plant-based. While the shift has been relatively easy for us, I’ve been trying to find a way to have great snack that doesn’t make you crash an hour later.
Many YouTube videos later, I decided to create my own version of these high-powered energy balls. Add a stick to them, and it’s just like the cake pops at Starbucks, minus the calories, fat, and animal protein.
- 1/2 cup dry, pitted, soaked dates
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp Nikki’s Coconut Butter – Vanilla Cake Batter (optional indulgence)
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 servings of vegan protein powder (I used the Veg protein powder below)
- 1 dash of vanilla (bitters if you’re naughty!)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Optional to roll them in afterwards (coconut flakes, cacao powder, flax meal, sesame seeds, chia seeds, literally anything you want!) I used a mix from Trader Joe’s called SUPER SEED & ANCIENT GRAIN BLEND.
- Add all ingredients except for the last bullet of this list to your food processor, Nutribullet, etc and mix/grind/blend until it forms a thick paste and most of the nuts are ground.
- Remove mixture from the mixer and place into a bowl or on a plate.
- In a shallow dish, pour some of the coating (see options above)
- We made our balls large enough that they would be about 2 bites each, this is about 1 tbsp/ball
- Scoop out 1 tbsp at a time and roll it into a ball between your palms (If you don’t want cacao/date hands wear gloves or rub some of the flax meal on your hands before rolling!
- After rolling into a ball, place into the shallow dish and coat with your topping.
- Store the tasty treats in an airtight container and you’re good to go!
Try them yourself, and let me know what you think. I made these in under 20 min the first time.
P.S. – I do not recommend these before bed, unless you want to be wired!